disconnection issue

suaver

Question

Hello,

I am playing on MS WinXP OS likely SP3 and over wifi.  I did not have any problems with game play until the transition of the server to Hercules.

Has anyone else been experiencing the same problem I have where I can patch, log on, but then cant move or talk afterwards?  Soon after, I get a disconnected from server message.  I can see other players/npcs around and they can talk or I can see main/trade chat but I cannot reply/move/etc.

Thanks for the help!

6 answers to this question

When was the most recent time that this occurred?

How often does this occur?

What time(s) are you normally logging on, in relation to server time?

How soon after logging in do you experience the disconnection?

Do you have any programs running (Torrents, Usegroups, Peer to peer file sharing programs, etc) that may be making the hogging bandwidth (not necessarily on the same machine)?

i usually play around evening (EST) and most wkends.  it occurs every single time i log on.  

just tried right now, 11 PM server time.  i get disconnected a second or 2 as i can move a few spaces then freeze.  I can still see chats and npcs and even others moving but i cant.  no torrents or sharing programs on other than IE/chrome.

This one is a mystery. 

They said they have patched, logged in and can get the chat packets from the server.  One thing that wasn't clear was did they reinstall the client. 

The server looks for packets from the client that matches their version number. This is why when we update the server, we have to update the client. 

But for the sake of simplistically I'll assume that Suaver had reinstalled the client, and their packets are matching the server. Which brings up the question of why are they being disconnected. The server will disconnect a client when it hasn't detected a silence in packets after a set amount of time. Which is why Linus was asking about other applications. The router on your network works really fast, but like all machines it can only process 1 request at a time. when there is a lot of requests, it ques it up. We don't know Suaver's household situation, and it is possible that was the cause. 

When situations like this occur, it's best to ping the server to see what sort of legacy you are having. 
Assuming your using a windows OS, go to command prompt, and ping 198.7.63.184, this is the game server, or if you want you can also ping jellyro.com, this would be the web server. they may have different traffics, but they are the same host. 

It should be noted that the ip address, can change. This occurs when we change hosts. If your experience anything higher than 150 ms per ping. This could be the issue.