Ride the Wave

Finnian

JellyROSummer.png

When we said "You're Welcome" last month, little did we know of the wave of displaced players who would soon be heading for our sleepy little server. Perhaps we should have seen it coming, but never would I have believed that our population would double in one week and continue to increase in the following weeks, despite no effort on our end to promote the server. We have been trying to keep a low profile due to certain events that have shaken the RO community. We were planning to hunker down and take our time on big projects that we had been wanting to work on. Then the wave awakened us with a splash of cold water and gave us a push. We were not prepared for a sudden increase in players, but we did our best to adjust to this change of pace and priorities. I am happy that many players were able to come back and find their old characters preserved after many years, and I am humbled that so many new players chose us over all the other options available. Despite how overwhelmed we were those first few weeks, I feel excited to embark on this new chapter of our server's history.  

It's Summertime and You Know What That Means...

unknown.png

Let's get into our summer suits and hit the beach for some volleyball!

Volleyball is back on Beacon Island! ( /navi cmd_fild07 255/111 ) Gather a partner and another team of 2, and pay 1000z per player to participate. Join as either Team Galapago or Team Smokie to score points against your opponent and keep them from scoring points against you. Details can be found here. Winners can get Auro up to 3 times a day! You may also win Summer Coins, which you will want to save for later this summer.

Random monsters will drop Aloha Shirts and Swimming Shorts that Tailor Jessica at Beacon Island can make into a box that contains a random summer suit. In addition to the classic summer suit, we added an alternate version for you to show off. 

As an added bonus, you automatically change into one of the summer suits when you start a volleyball game, and there is a chance of that your summer suit will change to the other version during the game!

And don't forget to check out the Auro Shop where Summer Crates and Summer Packs are now available for 500 auro each. They may contain a costume, headgear, cards, or a few other equipment items that range from uncommon to epic! If you're very lucky, you may even find a Custom Kaho! Either box could potentially have one, but the styles are different. In fact, most of the contents vary between the two boxes, but you have about the same odds of getting a certain type of item (a card, for example) from either one. Good luck, and happy summer!

On a serious note, please don't be tempted to exploit our generosity, or we will have to hand out punishments. If we all play fair, we can all have nice things. Please report any bugs or exploits you find. Integrity is more rewarding than opportunism.

Next maintenance is on July 4th

Event ends on September 5th

Auro Board Progress Report

Last month we updated the amounts of auro that each level bracket could earn by completing assigned missions from the Auro Mission Board. You will be able to earn more auro per mission if you use higher level characters.

Now we are working on balancing the quests so they can be done in a reasonable amount of time with a reasonable amount of effort by new players. For the sake of testing, we assume they have very basic gear and typical stats, varying by their class and level bracket. Here are the testing guidelines we're using for the first two brackets:

Levels 1-20    

• Start as a level 1 Novice.   
  • Stats should be distributed as you would when you create a character.
  • Gear must be the 1z novice shop gear.    

Levels 21-50    

• Start at level 21 as any 1st job, including extended.    
  • Stats should be evenly distributed into the typical main stats for your chosen job. 
  • Gear must be shop-purchasable and Beginner Weapon. No cards.

We tried to make this a priority, but we underestimated the time it would take to gather the test data needed to ensure that the quests would be fair for everyone. Unfortunately, that means there have been no new changes to the Auro Mission Board this time, but since we know how important this is to the players, we may be able to do some mid-month live updates if they are ready before the next maintenance.

Auto Cast Timeout

Auto casting granted by items has been modified to stop functioning if the character has been idle for more than 60 seconds. Actively casting spells, moving, talking, using emojis, standing and siting, and pretty much doing any input will reset the idle timer.

Item Recall

Several consumable items that have malfunctioning, incompatible, or missing scripts have been removed from Jellyblobs.

If you had any of the following items in your inventory, storage, or cart, you will find that it has been replaced with another Jellyblob so you can have another try.

Wrapped Box (ID 12023)
SP Consumption Reduction Potion (ID 12298)
Mega Resist Potion (ID 12299)
HP Increase PotionS (ID 12422)
HP Increase PotionM (ID 12423)
HP Increase PotionL (ID 12424)
SP Increase PotionS (ID 12425)
SP Increase PotionM (ID 12426)
SP Increase PotionL  (ID 12427)
Mental Potion (ID 14600)

A Message from Kathis

Editor's note: Ranting ahead. Proceed with caution.

Spoiler

I want to be very clear about something, so I'll just be blunt. I don't have to do anything. I don't have to fix bugs; I don't have to listen to the ideas or suggestions; I don't have to deal with support tickets; I don't have to run GM events; I don't have to keep the forum functional; I don't have to confirm new accounts; I don't have to pay the bills for the host; I don't have to keep the server running. I am not paid to do this. This is not a job, but a hobby. The staff on hand are not paid to do this either. This is all volunteer. So to reiterate. I don't have to put hours of my time into maintaining something that doesn't bear fruit for the labor I put in.

So why do I do this to myself? I want to keep the server running for people who enjoy what we put forth. I want to maintain this place on the internet where I have met many of my friends and my wife. I want to make sure that the bugs are fixed so this place functions in a manner that doesn't ruin the enjoyment for those who appreciate our effort. Some time ago it was said, "Kathis only wants to run the server for his friends." There is some truth to that. If you follow the rules, try your best to be helpful and kind to others, give constructive criticism, and be civil to those who disagree with you, then you are the type of person I would like to be friends with. 

When you are a guest in someone's house and they tell you to take your shoes off, you take your shoes off. You don't argue that if they were worried about dirt, they shouldn't have carpet and they should just clean the floor more often. In JellyRO, if you knowingly break the rules and then say it's the staff's fault for making it possible, you are essentially doing the same thing. We have rules to help keep the game enjoyable. When you play a game, there are rules agreed upon by ALL the players involved. If someone joins in and start breaking said rules, they cause trouble for everyone. When I had to head out to deal with family and was unable to manage the game, I came back to a bunch of reports. When you break the rules with no regard for how it will affect other players, you are not being clever; you are being a jerk.

For those that came to our server and are not happy with how things are, consider this: Someone from the next town over shows up on your doorstep needing a place to stay. You are sure they have other options, but you want to help so you agree. As your new housemate is getting settled in, you start preparing a meal, and they start critiquing everything. The design of the plates and cutlery, the selection of food, how you organize the pantry, and they can't believe you have been living with a broken ice dispenser. They demand that you make some changes, complaining that things are different or not as good as other places they've been. Some of these are fair observations and you had been meaning to get around to making some repairs and improvements around the house, but your time and resources are limited. If this scenario seems ridiculous, it's probably because you would not tolerate someone telling you how to manage your household, or perhaps you wouldn't let them stay in the first place. This is what we have been dealing with, and it puts us in an awkward position because we want to welcome everyone in, but we're not a 5-star hotel.

We want JellyRO to be a fun, safe, and stress-free environment for all players, but the past month has been extremely stressful for me and my staff. Just as I run this server not because I have to, but because I want to, you do not have to play our game. You are here because you want to be here. With so many private servers shutting down, I had to wonder if it was time to pull the plug. I do not want to shut down JellyRO so I hope I don't end up regretting the decision to keep it running.

Monthly Updates

Featured Auro Shop Costumes

20044.png20108.png5909.png19828.png

19570.png19553.png20339.png30126.png

Featured Jellybean Rewards

20010.png20011.png20325.png 1045.gif

Additional Notes

• Auro Shop and Jellybean exchanger have been updated.
  • Jellyblob was updated to reflect change in Auro Shop costumes.
  • Reduced fame points by 10% for all characters on accounts inactive for 90 days.
  • Adventure's trusty towel will no longer work outside of the summer season, and won't trigger if you are in a game of volleyball.
  • Bow0 has been modified to no longer be account bound.

Don't forget to patch!
How are we doing? Give us feedback!
If something isn't working correctly, please submit a bug report.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@krohno1 I appreciate that you and others want to donate, but it is not safe at this time for our server to accept donations. Appearing to make money on the game is one of the things that has resulted in other private servers facing legal action.

Volley ball has been modified. 

Apparently people thought the intended way to play it was to get on alts and just pretty much not play the game to get the Auro. 

So I hot fixed it to check the email address and ip address of the 4 players in the game. If there is a match it count the match invalid, and no rewards will be given.

To those that are living with friends and family and play Jelly in the same household. I am sorry that this had to be done. I'll try to find a better solution when time permits. For those that had abused the volleyball event and had played this way, we have item logs, we know who you are, and we'll be dealing with this accordingly.

I shouldn't have to make the game impossible to do something if it's not allowed, we can all drive people over in cars. The car isn't going to go  "Oh no that is a human person we are about to drive over. I should not let the human driver do that and turn my engine off." Nope, that person will get ran over, and you will get punished for running someone over. We don't drive people over in cars, because we know we're not suppose to.