Sign in to follow this  
Kathis

From the desk of Kathis

On January 13-16, a series of disputes from War of Emperium took place on JellyRO Discord. It was a very bad time, and we had to take action. There was a thorough investigation, which concluded the afternoon of January 19 (before the next WoE), and more than one player was penalized. Now I won't mention names here, and it's not my intention to bring individuals into focus. What I would like to point out is that making assumptions about the circumstances surrounding a ban, and commenting on your assumptions is just how rumors start. It causes more grief to the community as a whole. Further, any player who has been penalized can submit a support ticket inquiring about their penalty. Perhaps they believe it was misjudged, or perhaps we missed something. We are human, and we do make mistakes. However, other players cannot request an appeal for a penalized player, family or not, just like you cannot request a password recovery for an account that doesn't belong to you.

So what triggered all of this, and how was WoE related? It boils down to bad sportsmanship, and while some felt it was just banter (which is allowed), others felt it was a personal attack (which is not allowed), and thus things spiraled out of control. To further complicate matters, multiple players in this felt they were being harassed, and while a few attempts were made to deescalate the situation, none of these players clearly told the other player(s) to stop, which was and still is the first step in the Harassment reporting process.

Lastly, it is stated in our Discord rules, "Do not direct message any JellyRO staff members unless directed to by another staff member." I made an exception for myself as I like to keep my door open, but as of January 16, 2019, I have revoked that exception. Over the past 2 weeks prior to that (from December 30-January 16), I received quite a few complaints and ideas to the point that it hindered my own work. Also, the choice of wording in most of the messages were causing me some distress, so my door on Discord is closed unless I or another staff member give you permission to message me. These exceptions will be rare since it would not be fair if I only closed this avenue of communication to a few players. I try my best to keep things fair, and not play favorites. Even my own wife gets no special treatment as a player.

TLDR: When WoE banter starts to get personal, it's time to disengage; if you feel that you are being harassed or bullied, tell them to stop in plain English; and don't message me privately on Discord without instructions to do so.

These incidents prompted us to reevaluate our current rules. Changes have been made to the following sections:

• Overview: reorganized information and added policies regarding false reports and penalty appeals.
  • Abusive/Offensive Content: added a definition for "personal insults".
  • Channels/Chat: added rule regarding @request, due to repeated improper use of this command.
  • Harassment: modified the reporting process to make it less disruptive for the victim.

Please take a few minutes to read the rules, particularly those sections. http://forum.jellyro.com/rules

Thank you, and we hope you are looking forward to our upcoming events after the maintenance on February 3!

其实嘛,本来就是个游戏。何必这样认真呢?我在极度严禁下还是制造出雷锤。其实你没错,只是现在的小孩都出身于网格年代。互联网把所有的东西都连接上了。但不代表不会遗失,而渐渐得互联网变得如此的溃烂。游戏还是要继续,戏也必须继续唱。人生如戏,戏如人生。何必那样介意?

• Haha 1

I am thrilled and happy to report - This "incident" did not involved Thephi.

Just read the discord. Tons of children still play this game hahahahahah

Weird how blocking people got removed from the steps when it's a 3 click process, and if you block someone on discord it's 100% on you if you click the blocked message to un-hide it. Lol.

@ImLonelyMao
I mind the drama because it cascades enjoyment on everyone. sort of like when you are traveling on public transit and when you end up seeing a couple, or what you must assume to be a couple, arguing away. You can't go anywhere, you can't really do anything. That feeling starts to spread to others. Our goal here is to make to provide a friendly and fun environment for everyone. If our rules are stopping us from accomplishing that, because people wish to harass others then it's clear that they need to be modified. 

Also in future please use english for your posts. My Chinese isn't that good, there is no rule against using different languages in any other place except for the main and trade  channel in game,  but all our rules apply to all languages,  and you were asking me a question since there was no other post here at the time.

@thephi
"Tons of children" - you will need to be more careful with your choice of words, ask how others will react to them, some will take it as a personal insult. 

@ミ☆ Austin

If we go with Mao's logic, that drama like life, and life is like drama. Then how do you remove someone from existence from the reality you exist in, while not affecting others view?  But in all seriously blocking and ignoring someone should have to be part of the solution. It doesn't solve the problem, and problems don't magically go away. I want to believe you all are good nature people, meaning no harm. Most of this is probably miscommunication, not understanding the other person's view and how it could affect them. You are all adults, I don't see why I have to play teacher and supervise the playground. 

29 minutes ago, Kathis said:

@ImLonelyMao
I mind the drama because it cascades enjoyment on everyone. sort of like when you are traveling on public transit and when you end up seeing a couple, or what you must assume to be a couple, arguing away. You can't go anywhere, you can't really do anything. That feeling starts to spread to others. Our goal here is to make to provide a friendly and fun environment for everyone. If our rules are stopping us from accomplishing that, because people wish to harass others then it's clear that they need to be modified. 

Also in future please use english for your posts. My Chinese isn't that good, there is no rule against using different languages in any other place except for the main and trade  channel in game,  but all our rules apply to all languages,  and you were asking me a question since there was no other post here at the time.

@thephi
"Tons of children" - you will need to be more careful with your choice of words, ask how others will react to them, some will take it as a personal insult. 

@ミ☆ Austin

If we go with Mao's logic, that drama like life, and life is like drama. Then how do you remove someone from existence from the reality you exist in, while not affecting others view?  But in all seriously blocking and ignoring someone should have to be part of the solution. It doesn't solve the problem, and problems don't magically go away. I want to believe you all are good nature people, meaning no harm. Most of this is probably miscommunication, not understanding the other person's view and how it could affect them. You are all adults, I don't see why I have to play teacher and supervise the playground. 

It's the internet. If you are getting "bullied" or feeling "harassed" or "insulted", you need to figure out that on any online game there will be banter. You also need to understand that the easiest way to get away from the "bullying" or "harassment" online... is to just close that application, or maybe go do something not online. It should 100% be part of the solution, which it was, and even if you don't block them, what's the next best thing? Maybe just not replying (especially when the banter had already ended.. not naming anyone specific.)

It's the internet. If you are getting "bullied" or feeling "harassed" or "insulted", you need to figure out that on any online game there will be banter. You also need to understand that the easiest way to get away from the "bullying" or "harassment" online... is to just close that application, or maybe go do something not online. It should 100% be part of the solution, which it was, and even if you don't block them, what's the next best thing? Maybe just not replying

Taking the incident aside, the change in the rules is to help prevent such outbreaks in future as well, but let's address your viewpoint of the situation. 

It matters not if it's on the internet, phone, in person, through old fashioned letters. It's harassment. If you pulled this on facebook
https://lowenthalabrams.com/facebook-harassment-criminal-lawsuit/

It can still get you into real trouble, regardless of it being "on the internet" because

Online Harassment is Illegal
There are numerous cases in which people have been charged with a crime in relation to harassment online. Most recently, the Pennsylvania Superior Court upheld a teenager’s criminal conviction for stating that another teenager “has herpes. Ew.”  The post went on to insinuate that the other teenager is a slut. The poster was 18, the person she attacked was only 15 at the time.

And not to remind everyone but....

Illegal Activity
Any and all references to illegal activity that violates local, state, national or international laws or regulations will most likely be reported to the proper authorities.

Our server is currently in the United States, so our laws are based there, Had it been in canada, we don't even get freedom of speech, look it up not in our rights. 

Hopefully that answers your question on why the harassment rule was changed in hopes to prevent future outbreaks like that

Well...i got too lazy to explain. Clap hand that all what i can do. my station is going to reach...i have squad logic every day. but what i found up is no one on the server. i don't need any logic anymore...maybe i'm looking for miracle . A word Teacher is not a position or a job. That only your work can prove the result..and not the word. i'm totally agree you are generate a good environment for us. but we all are difference ,  it was simple , if you  want to remove someone from existence from the reality you exist in. just forgive about it. if you are talking about rules , how about syria ? life is being in mistake , you have to solve you own and not showing your edge. i'm here are not blame anyone. we have to move out from our comfort zone and keep learning...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2